As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Simple Homemade Mayo
I never realized how easy making my own mayo could be. This recipe is an easy, healthy way to spice up any sandwich. Try it for yourself!
- 1 whole fresh large or extra-large egg taken straight out of the fridge
- 2-3 tsp fresh lime or lemon juice or vinegar of your choice
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 cup extra-light tasting olive oil
- OPTIONAL ADD-INS
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove peeled and coarsely chopped
- An immersion blender
- A tall narrow glass jar that’s barely wide enough to accommodate the head of your immersion blender. A 500ml one pint wide mouth Mason type jar works wonders for this.
Add all the ingredients to your glass jar and let them sit for a few seconds, just long enough for the egg to settle comfortably at the bottom of the jar, underneath the oil.
Insert your immersion blender and push it all the way down until it makes contact with the bottom of the jar.
Push the power button and do not move the blender for a full 20 seconds. Almost instantly, you’ll see the magic take place right before your eyes: the oil will start to emulsify and turn into this lusciously creamy and thick concoction, slowly making its way all the way to the top of the jar.
After 20 seconds, the transformation should be pretty much complete, so start moving your blender around and up and down just to make sure that every last bit of oil gets well incorporated.
About the oil, it's VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU USE LIGHT TASTING OLIVE OIL and NOT full flavor. Full flavor is way too strong and will give your mayo an unpleasant bitter taste! You could, however, sub avocado, macadamia, almond or walnut oil for some (or all) of the light tasting olive oil.
It's also important to use the proper equipment, as described.
Recipe and image adapted from: The Healthy Foodie
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.