How to perform the exercise
- Crunches are not full sit-ups
- Form is important
Crunches have been proven to be one of the most effective exercises to target the abs and obliques. The being said, adding crunches to your ab workout is a must. However, if you’re not using the proper form when doing crunches, you won’t see the results you expect.
CAUTION: If you’re a beginner, or not in optimal shape for exercise, start slowly! Consult a physician before starting a new exercise regimen.
- Never jerk up on your neck and head when doing crunches.
- Keep your chin pointed upward.
- Squeeze your abs when lifting off the floor, and on the way down.
- Start slow, you will build endurance over time.
- The bicycle crunch, is a variation of the standard crunch and is also very effective for targeting abdominal muscles.
- Another popular variation of the crunch is the reverse crunch because it works all of the major muscles in the abdomen.