Mongolian Beef Recipe
0.25 lb beef flank steak or beef tenderloin, flap meat / sirloin tip sliced across the grain into ¼” thin pieces
0.5 Tbsp peanut oil for frying or any other cooking oil
1 garlic cloves minced
0.25- inch long piece of fresh ginger peeled and thinly sliced
1.25 green onions cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces
For the marinade:
1 teaspoon fresh ginger
1 teaspoon garlic
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
1/4 cup beef stock
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup raw honey
1/4 cup filtered water
How To Prepare
1. For the beef: Chop green onions in 1-inch lengths with diagonal ends, separating the white from the green parts. Or, if you have someone at your table who does not care for large chopped onions, dice the whole green onion small.
2. Slice the flank steak against the grain in 1/4 inch thick, bite-sized strips.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the canola oil over medium heat until it is hot but not smoking.
4. Cook the steak strips while stirring for 3-7 minutes. Remove from the pan with slotted spoon just before they reach your desired doneness. The steak will continue to cook once removed from the pan and set aside.
5. And white parts of green onions to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes. Add green ends to pan and sauté for a minute more. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and set aside with steak. Or, if diced, sauté white and green parts together for 3-4 minutes.
6. For the sauce: Peel the ginger and garlic. Dice or set your food processor to shred/grate and process the ginger and garlic.
7. Melt the toasted sesame oil and remaining canola oil in a pan on medium stove heat.
8. Add the chili flakes, garlic and ginger to the pan and stir for 1 minute taking care not to allow the garlic to burn.
9. Add the beef stock and soy sauce to the pan and bring to the simmer
10. Add the honey to the simmering sauce and using a whisk, dissolve the honey into the sauce.
11. While the sauce simmers and reduces slightly, warm water and stir in arrowroot. Add this to your sauce and stir continuously until sauce thickens.
12. Add the onions to the sauce.
13. Add the steak to the sauce and immediately serve.