How to perform the exercise
1. Using a leg press machine, sit down on the machine and place your legs on the platform directly in front of you at a medium shoulder width. (Feet medium width apart on the machine)
2. Lower the safety bars holding the weighted platform in place and press the platform all the way up until your legs are fully extended in front of you. This will be your starting position.
3. As you inhale, slowly lower the platform until your upper and lower legs make a 90-degree angle.
4. Pushing mainly with the heels of your feet and using the quadriceps go back to the starting position as you exhale.
5. Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions and ensure to lock the safety pins properly once you are done to avoid injury.
- Always check to make sure that when you re-rack the weight the platform is securely locked to avoid injury
- Make sure that you do not lock your knees. Your torso and the legs should make a perfect 90-degree angle.
The leg press primarily works your quadriceps with the added benefit of working your calves, glutes, and your hamstrings. It not only strengthens your leg muscles, but it also helps firm up your butt.
CAUTION: If you’re a beginner, or not in optimal shape for exercise, start slowly! Consult a physician before starting a new exercise regimen.
- Never jerk your body when doing this exercise.
- Squeeze your abs when working out to maximize the effects of this exercise.
- Start slow, you will build endurance over time.
- The leg press is a variation of the standard squat and is very effective for targeting your quadriceps.
- Variations of the leg press include using only one leg on the machine at a time and changing your foot stance on both the single-leg variation and the standard two-leg method.