Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins
I love everything about muffins; the smell, the taste, the warmth, everything!!! I love all kinds of muffins, chocolate chip muffins, apple cinnamon muffins, cornbread muffins. But I don’t like muffin tops that cover sexy abs. Luckily, there are tons of tasty, six-pack friendly muffin recipes. This is one of my favorites.
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat white flour or all-purpose
- 1 cup oats rolled or quick-cooking
- 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup peanut butter or reduce to ½ cup to lower calories
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7/8 cup milk I used whole milk
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375° and line or spray 15 muffin cups. [I actually baked 12 and then baked the remaining 3 separately. These muffins aren’t too finicky)
- In a large bowl whisk together flours, oats, bran, soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together sugar, honey, peanut butter, yogurt, egg, vanilla extract, and milk until completely incorporated.
- Fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture and mix until few lumps remain. Fold in chocolate chips being careful not to overmix. Two or three folds should do it.
- Scoop the batter into muffin tins using a 2” cookie or ice cream scoop, filling them all the way to the top.
- Let the muffins sit out for 15 minutes prior to baking (or you can skip this step).
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with some clinging crumbs. Be very careful not to over bake. A minute can make the difference. Seriously.
- Let cool 2 minutes in tins until quickly removing the muffins to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store in a sealed container or freeze for an easy breakfast / snack! Microwave for 25-30 seconds on high to thaw. It is best not to nuke them too long.
Notes: Recipe adapted from A Kitchen Addiction. Found via The Cooking Actress