Cauliflower Bagel Sandwiches
Going easy on the bread has never been easy for me. Even during my 7-day detox, it was really hard to not eat bread. Everyday I found myself caring bread. But ever since I got my hands on this cauliflower bagel recipe it’s no problem at all. When I don’t want to eat bread, I just whip up a batch of these babies. They are superb right out of the oven! For an added kick, make your own paleo mayo with this recipe.
- Serves 4
- 1 small head cauliflower (Cut into small florets. should yield 3 cups of cauliflower rice)
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 organic eggs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt or salt substitute (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Poppy seeds (sesame seeds, minced garlic or minced onion for topping)
- 4 slices Natural No Antibiotics Ever Mesquite Smoked Turkey Breast
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves or lettuce of choice
- 4 slices of My Life or other dairy free cheese
- 4 tablespoons paleo mayo
In a food processor rice the cauliflower florets (it should be evenly chopped but not completely pulverized).
In a large bowl combine 3 cups of cauliflower rice, eggs, almond flour, coconut flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well.
Refrigerate the cauliflower mixture for 5 minutes - this will allow the almond flour and coconut flour to soak up some of the moisture.
4.Take out the fridge and give it another good stir.
Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease with olive oil.
Using your hands form 4 even sized buns (squeezing the mixture so it holds together) and lay onto the lined baking sheet.
Sprinkle toppings and lightly press them into the top. With the handle of a spoon/fork/knife make a big hole in the middle of each bun.
Bake in the oven for about 16 to 18 minutes, or until it reaches a bread-like consistency.
Turn on the broiler on high, and broil for further 2 to 3 minutes until the top is golden.
10. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a rack before peeling them off the parchment paper.
11. Once peeled off parchment paper cut the cauliflower bagels in half
12. Add 1 slice of Smoked Turkey Breast and 1 slice of cheese to bottom half of eachbagel
13. Place bottoms on pan with parchment paper and place under broiler for 1 minute to melt cheese.
14. Remove from oven and spread top of with mayo if desired, then top the other cauliflower bagel half.
15. Divide the spinach or lettuce between 4 bagels.
16. Serve immediately.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for about 2 days, or the freezer for about 7 days. To reheat, wrap tightly in foil while and pop in the oven until warm. If frozen let thaw before putting in the oven.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for about 2 days, or the freezer for about 7 days. To reheat, wrap tightly in foil while and pop in the oven until warm. If frozen let thaw before putting into the oven.
Recipe adapted from: The Iron You
Cauliflower bagels inspired by Lexi’s Clean Kitchen
Image from: Lexi's Clean Kitchen