Cauliflower Bagel Sandwiches
Going easy on the bread has never been easy for me. Even during my 7-day detox, it was really hard to not eat bread. Every day I found myself craving bread. But ever since I got my hands on this cauliflower bagel recipe it’s no problem at all. When I don’t want to eat bread, I just whip up a batch of these babies. They are superb right out of the oven! For an added kick, make your own paleo mayo with this recipe.
- Serves 4
- 1 small head cauliflower (Cut into small florets. should yield 3 cups of cauliflower rice)
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 organic eggs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt or salt substitute (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Poppy seeds (sesame seeds, minced garlic or minced onion for topping)
- 4 slices Natural No Antibiotics Ever Mesquite Smoked Turkey Breast
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves or lettuce of choice
- 4 slices of My Life or other dairy free cheese
- 4 tablespoons paleo mayo
- In a food processor rice the cauliflower florets (it should be evenly chopped but not completely pulverized).
- In a large bowl combine 3 cups of cauliflower rice, eggs, almond flour, coconut flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Refrigerate the cauliflower mixture for 5 minutes - this will allow the almond flour and coconut flour to soak up some of the moisture.
- 4.Take out the fridge and give it another good stir.
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease with olive oil.
- Using your hands form 4 even sized buns (squeezing the mixture so it holds together) and lay onto the lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle toppings and lightly press them into the top. With the handle of a spoon/fork/knife make a big hole in the middle of each bun.
- Bake in the oven for about 16 to 18 minutes, or until it reaches a bread-like consistency.
- Turn on the broiler on high, and broil for further 2 to 3 minutes until the top is golden.
- 10. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a rack before peeling them off the parchment paper.
- 11. Once peeled off parchment paper cut the cauliflower bagels in half
- 12. Add 1 slice of Smoked Turkey Breast and 1 slice of cheese to bottom half of eachbagel
- 13. Place bottoms on pan with parchment paper and place under broiler for 1 minute to melt cheese.
- 14. Remove from oven and spread top of with mayo if desired, then top the other cauliflower bagel half.
- 15. Divide the spinach or lettuce between 4 bagels.
- 16. Serve immediately.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for about 2 days, or the freezer for about 7 days. To reheat, wrap tightly in foil while and pop in the oven until warm. If frozen let thaw before putting in the oven.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for about 2 days, or the freezer for about 7 days. To reheat, wrap tightly in foil while and pop in the oven until warm. If frozen let thaw before putting into the oven.
Recipe adapted from: The Iron You
Cauliflower bagels inspired by Lexi’s Clean Kitchen
Image from: Lexi's Clean Kitchen
Simple Homemade Mayo
I never realized how easy making my own mayo could be. This recipe is an easy, healthy way to spice up any sandwich. Try it for yourself!
- 1 whole fresh large or extra-large egg taken straight out of the fridge
- 2-3 tsp fresh lime or lemon juice or vinegar of your choice
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 cup extra-light tasting olive oil
- OPTIONAL ADD-INS
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove peeled and coarsely chopped
- An immersion blender
- A tall narrow glass jar that’s barely wide enough to accommodate the head of your immersion blender. A 500ml one pint wide mouth Mason type jar works wonders for this.
- Add all the ingredients to your glass jar and let them sit for a few seconds, just long enough for the egg to settle comfortably at the bottom of the jar, underneath the oil.
- Insert your immersion blender and push it all the way down until it makes contact with the bottom of the jar.
- Push the power button and do not move the blender for a full 20 seconds. Almost instantly, you’ll see the magic take place right before your eyes: the oil will start to emulsify and turn into this lusciously creamy and thick concoction, slowly making its way all the way to the top of the jar.
- After 20 seconds, the transformation should be pretty much complete, so start moving your blender around and up and down just to make sure that every last bit of oil gets well incorporated.
About the oil, it's VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU USE LIGHT TASTING OLIVE OIL and NOT full flavor. Full flavor is way too strong and will give your mayo an unpleasant bitter taste! You could, however, sub avocado, macadamia, almond or walnut oil for some (or all) of the light tasting olive oil.
It's also important to use the proper equipment, as described.
Recipe and image adapted from: The Healthy Foodie
Egg Muffin Cups
These healthy muffin cups are amazing! They have less than 60 calories, and are downright delicious. I usually make 6 to 12 at a time.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 whole red pepper finely chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach - roughly chopped measured/packed before chopping
- 1/2 bunch chopped asparagus with bottom stems removed
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 5 organic eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp parsley flakes
- Salt substitute (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scramble eggs in a bowl and set aside
- Grease a non-stick muffin pan with olive oil or olive oil cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine seasonings
- Add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to skillet and heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped red pepper, spinach and asparagus to skillet
- Sprinkle with half the seasonings
- Saute 5-6 minutes, or until vegetables are tender
- Add in minced garlic.
- 10. Remove from heat.
- 11. Combine eggs and cooked vegetables
- 12. Pour the egg/vegetable mixture evenly into the prepared muffin pan.
- 13. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are firm to the touch and eggs are cooked.
14. Cool slightly and serve immediately!
I found this little gem after starting my first detox. I read about Dr. Alejandro Junger’s detox regimen, and thought it was awesome. HIs recipes are also delicious. This recipe was adapted from Dr. Junger’s French toast recipe, and it is delicious!
- 4 pasture-raised eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup cup coconut oil
- 2 to 3 slices gluten-free bread
- Whisk eggs, coconut milk and spices in a large shallow dish.
- Heat a few tablespoons of coconut oil in a large skillet or griddle over medium heat an
- While the skillet warms, add bread into the egg mixture 1 slice at a time. Allow both sides to absorb a lot of the moisture.
- Carefully transfer the bread slices onto the skillet and cook until golden brown.
- Once cooked through, cut each slice of bread in half, top with favorite syrup or natural toppings
This recipe was adapted from: Dr. Junger’s French toast recipe
Pancakes are one of my favorite breakfasts. I had a craving for pancakes during my first cleanse, and I’m glad I found this easy, delicious almond pancake recipe. These pancakes certainly satisfied my craving. Cleansing or trying to lose weight? Skip the commercial syrup and top with pure, all-natural maple syrup or other natural toppings.
- 1.5 cups Almond Flour
- 3 organic eggs
- 1 cup water or milk (unsweetened almond or coconut milk)
- Optional: spices like cinnamon and nutmeg vanilla, blueberries or other flavors
- Mix all ingredients in a medium sized bowl until batter is a pourable consistency.
- Make one test pancake to check for desired thickness and texture.
- Cook all pancakes on a griddle or in a large pan for approximately 2-3 minutes per side
Recipe adapted from: Wellness Mama
This asparagus and egg scramble is the perfect morning pick me up for your body and for your taste buds. Not only do asparagus and eggs taste great together, they provide a wealth of nutrients and vitamins.
Asparagus and Egg Scramble
- 2 organic eggs
- 1/3 bunch chopped asparagus with bottom stems removed
- 1/2 teaspoon Seasoning (recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp parsley flakes
- salt substitute optional
- Scramble eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to skillet.
- Add asparagus and half the seasonings.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until asparagus is tender, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining olive oil
- Then add scrambled eggs and the remaining seasonings.
- Stir continuously for about 2 to 3 minutes or until eggs are done.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from: Skinny Ms. Asparagus and egg scramble recipe.
French fries are delicious! But they’re also deep-fried, in unhealthy vegetable oil, very high in fat, and they’re packed with salt. So no matter how great they taste, eating them on a regular basis will make it almost impossible to uncover your abs.